Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Childhood memories

We go back at least 41 years to Mrs. Cosgrove’s kindergarten class. Even at such a young age I sensed something special in Steve. He always had the ability to make everyone laugh. I remember yukkin’ it up with him while Mrs. C tried to get everyone to take a nap. I was also extremely jealous of him because he always got to play the really cool instruments in the kindergarten band, while I got stuck with the wood block. Then he moved away to the Seattle area for a few years. Boy was I angry that he moved away. We did get to meet up at least once. I remember visiting with him and his parents at Farrels (sp?) ice cream parlor in Seattle while visiting my Aunt Earlene and Uncle Harold. It was a great day when his family had the good sense to move back to Spokane so the fun could continue.
Going to the Shadle Park football games on Friday night was also a treat. On numerous occasions, Willy was there in the defensive backfield leveling an opposing player to save a touchdown. It was a lot of fun watching him play ball!
Playing hoops with him on the 3rd Ward team was also a lot of fun. One of my fondest memories is thrashing the “dream team” that the 7th ward put together! And we even had a guy named “Woodstook” on our team.
Memories from Kip Whitehead (childhood friend). 

No comments:

Post a Comment