Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Surgery nurse

I had the great privilege of caring for Steve at the hospital during a procedure he had. Our family had been praying and fasting along with the rest of the neighborhood, but it wasn't until that day that I felt like I'd done anything special or useful to help. 

As a surgical nurse, it's not uncommon for me to ask the Lord to help me to be an instrument in his hands, an answer to someone's prayer, and a blessing to those patients I will care for during my shift. The majority of the health care providers I work with offer similar morning prayers, because as we've seen over and over, frequently we are the ones who can make a difference in helping their experience be positive and helping them feel reassured that they are in good hands. It's a marvelous field of work and immensely rewarding.

During the morning report Steve's name was read as an "add-on," meaning he wasn't on the pre-printed schedule. When I heard his name, I knew it was the Steve we know and love and have been praying for. It was wonderful to be able to visit with him in the operating room prior to his surgery and to visit with Mary Ann in the waiting room and then to sit with Steve in the recovery room. I felt grateful to be able to be with him when no one else he knew and loved could. 

It was also not a coincidence that his recovery room nurse was a wonderful woman who went far beyond the call of duty in caring for him, as three years ago she was in Mary Ann's shoes caring for her husband who had Stage IV lung cancer. She related very closely with what he was going through and made sure he was comfortable and well cared for in every way. I have no doubt that she cares for every patient in the same compassionate way, but she took a special interest in Steve and gave him the kind of care you'd give the President or the Prophet: truly the red-carpet royal treatment. :-)

Memory of Cyndie Manning (neighbor and RN). 

No comments:

Post a Comment